Amazon Home

Friday, November 21, 2014

The main bathroom

So our last big project before baby Caroline arrives, was to remodel the main bathroom. We only have one bathroom for the two bedrooms to share, and it not only needed a facelift...it needed way more storage in order to accommodate our growing family. So... at 30 weeks pregnant, we decided to get moving on this project.

This is what the old bathroom looked like:






 
 
 
 

We gutted the whole thing. I say we...but at 30 weeks pregnant I wasn't much help. Plus a couple days after deciding we were going to go forward with the remodel, I got put on bed rest. So I was acting supervisor of the remodel :) Joe did ALL of the hard work...all by himself. I am so proud of him! I did really miss getting to help though... we always love doing these projects together, and I felt pretty helpless the whole time.




Here is our gutted bathroom:




 
 
We took everything out. Tub and all! Discovered that the walls behind the shower were just regular drywall...no water protection at all. The toilet had previously had a bad leak as well (which we knew when we moved into the house due to the patch in the ceiling below). The floor had not been repaired, however. So our first step was to put up new shower walls and fix the floor around the toilet. The subfloor was just stained, so we simply decided to put backerboard on top of it to help waterproof the floor. Oh actually... first we put in the new tub....then the new walls and flooring. Joe carried the old tub out and down the stairs on his own...and the new tub up the stairs on his own. At one point I was behind him thinking I could support him if he fell with an 80 lb tub... I quickly realized I should simply remove myself from the bottom of the stairs! LOL There was no way that me being there would be of any help!
We also discovered that we were going to be hard pressed to find a two handled shower faucet that was decent looking. Apparently they are no longer making these anymore. So we had to call a plumber out and get it switched over to a single handle. This was a completely unexpected expense and took a good bit of our time since we were, of course, determined to find a way to do this ourselves! 




















Joe then did the new tile  in the shower and on the floor. We lucked out that he had a wet saw at work  to borrow !

Things were then fairly smooth sailing. Put the toilet in, the new vanity, added a shelf that we built, and decorated!

Here is our new, beautiful, amazing bathroom! I LOVE IT!!!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment